- 7 heaping cups white country bread cut into 1-inch cubes, toasted until dry*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 slightly heaping cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole or 2% milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the bread to a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the milk and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly distribute the spinach, onions, and cheese in the baking dish, lightly tossing together. Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes on the middle rack. Remove the foil and continue cooking uncovered for 40-45 minutes until cooked through. If the top begins to brown too much, cover with foil until finished cooking.
*To toast the bread, put it in the oven at 250-275 degrees F until dry (but not browned).
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.