This fat-free and vegan soup has tons of flavor (really!). My vegan daughter always requests this when she wants comfort food. With a crusty baguette, it is very satisfying. The addition of potatoes makes it thicker and heartier than most split pea soups.
- 2 cups green split peas (uncooked)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cubes boullion (vegetarian)
- 2 potatoes (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- Place the split peas, vegetable broth, and bouillon cubes in your Crockpot and give it a quick stir to break up the bouillon cubes a bit.
- Next, add the chopped potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Then add the mustard, cumin, sage, thyme, and bay leaves, and stir together to combine well. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on your Crockpot's low setting for at least 4 hours, or until the green split peas are soft. I like to let it go for 6-8 hours - the longer the better in my opinion.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients slightly.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste, adding a bit more salt and pepper as needed. Be sure to remove the bay leaves before serving.
- You can add 1/2 or 1 cup of cooked brown rice or quinoa is you like.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.